ONE Tamworth councillor doesn’t believe installing CCTV cameras near the city’s war memorials is a “feasible solution”.
It comes after two monuments have been defaced in targeted vandal attacks in Anzac Park this year.
The chairman of Tamworth Regional Council’s crime prevention working group, Russell Webb, said permanent surveillance at war memorials had been suggested, but it has a slim chance of becoming a reality.
“There has been discussions on whether CCTV would be suitable with issues around vandalism on war memorials,” Cr Webb said.
“Mobile CCTVs may be of some assistance, but there has been no determinations.”
He then said the installation of permanent CCTV units at the all of the city’s war memorials would not be a “feasible solution” to put a halt to the targeted attacks in Tamworth this year.
The honour rolls on the Brisbane Street gates to Anzac Park were hit in the lead up to April 25, while the regionally significant Sandankan death march memorial was defaced last week.
RSL sub-branch president Bob Chapman believed the incidents were related but still wanted to have permanent cameras put up in Anzac Park.
There was a call for cameras in Anzac Park following the first attack, but the crime prevention group knocked back the request and claimed it would be too expensive.
Occasionally planting mobile units at the East Tamworth park was offered as a compromise.