A POLICE officer will head to trial next year accused of four sexual or indecent assaults while he was off-duty at the Tamworth Country Music Festival.
Dean Robert Squire stood in the dock in Tamworth District Court on Friday morning and formally pleaded not guilty to four charges.
He’s denied three counts of assaulting with an act of indecency against two women on January 22 this year.
He also pleaded not guilty to having sexual intercourse without consent with one of the alleged victims on the same date.
Agent solicitor Kevin Carr told the court the defence estimated the trial would take two weeks, with the Crown also suggesting the evidence would span five to seven days.
“I note the 10-day estimate,” Judge Jeffery McLennan said.
He set down the trial to run in late November 2019, ordering the defence to file and serve any evidence or expert statements they seek to rely on prior to the trial.
“Otherwise his bail is to continue,” Judge McLennan said.
The now 28-year-old senior constable, who is based in the Central West, is suspended from duties, NSW Police confirmed after his arrest earlier this year.
He was charged on February 22 at Dubbo Police Station, following an official investigation.
In April, a Dubbo magistrate refused a notice of motion to suppress the case or Squire’s identity.
Much of the detail surrounding the alleged offences cannot be reported for legal reasons.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.