THE man accused of kidnapping a man, tying him up and then sexually assaulting him has had his application for bail refused in court.
Philip James Williams will remain behind bars until next month now, accused of the sex attack in Uralla in the early hours of Sunday.
Williams, 37 and from South Australia, was visiting Uralla at the weekend and is alleged to have sexually abused a 33-year-old man inside a Uralla home.
Detectives allege Williams tied his victim up before sexually assaulting him. They allege the men were not known to one another previously.
Williams fronted Armidale Local Court on Monday, charged with five counts of aggravated sexual assault and deprive liberty; and aggravated sexual assault and inflict actual bodily harm on victim.
He was refused bail by magistrate Michael Holmes, after failing to show cause why his detention was not justified.
Mr Holmes ordered Williams be held in custody until the case returns to court in November.
Williams was not required to enter pleas to the charges on Monday, but if found guilty, he faces a maximum penalty of 20 years' imprisonment.
The 37-year-old was first arrested on Sunday at a Uralla home by Armidale detectives, hours after the alleged attack.
New England Detective Sergeant Matt Crotty told the Leader the alleged victim alerted police before being taken to hospital in a stable condition.
"The victim was treated at Armidale hospital and has since been released," he said.
"Detectives have canvassed the area for witnesses and investigations continue but we would make an a public appeal for anyone with information on this attack to come forward and speak with Armidale detectives."
A crime scene was examined by officers on Sunday as detectives took charge of the investigation, seizing goods as part of their investigation.