Empty tank pulls up Tamworth driver on high speed pursuit

A high-speed pursuit ended for a Tamworth man yesterday when he ran out of fuel during his attempt to evade police.

Toby Scudds, 25, was refused bail in Tamworth Local Court yesterday afternoon after pleading guilty to the pursuit which reached speeds of up to 130km/h on residential streets and travelled across two suburbs.

Police said Scudds and the blue Holden Commodore he was driving came to their attention just after midnight.

Officers followed his car along Duri Rd before he sped off leading them through the streets of South 

Tamworth. They said due to his dangerous manner of driving the pursuit was terminated twice due to concerns for community safety.

It began a third time with the assistance of a Tamworth highway patrol officer but officers said the pursuit stopped when Scudds ran out of fuel.

He was arrested on Macgregor St before being taken to Tamworth Police Station and charged with not stopping during a pursuit (Skye’s Law), being a learner driver unaccompanied by a licensed driver and driving an unregistered and uninsured car.

He pleaded guilty to the charges yesterday and a sentence date was set for January 21.

Police later confirmed Scudds had a woman with him in the car.

The city’s crime manager, Inspector Phil O’Reilly said he hoped the arrest would give comfort to the community.

“It has been alleged he was aware police were chasing him and he continued in the pursuit, causing significant danger to a passenger in the vehicle and other community members,” Inspector O’Reilly said.

“His incarceration today will provide protection to the community from this type of activity.”

A high speed pursuit ended yesterday when the driver's car ran out of fuel.

A high speed pursuit ended yesterday when the driver's car ran out of fuel.


Discuss "Empty tank pulls up Tamworth driver on high speed pursuit"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.