This aerial photo from the early 1970's looks over the Scully Park/Southgate area.
When our first Tamworth Borough Council was formed in 1876, the Scully area was officially known as the 'Horse Grass Paddock', comprising 10 hectares within Parry/Mathews/Kent/Belmore Streets.
During World War II the Commonwealth Government resumed 3.6 hectares within Phillip/Park/Belmore/Kent Streets for an Army Detention Barracks, which were constructed at the Belmore Street end.
After the War, with the highly successful West Tamworth Rugby League Club pleading their lack of a suitable ground, a successful approach was made to Tamworth City Council for some land allocation to build a football ground, clubhouse, etc.
The 3.2 hectare Scully Park area was granted in 1956, with an impressive Clubhouse constructed the following year, together with the football ground (Scully 1) which served for many years.
Tennis courts were constructed at the Phillip Street end, with a Cricket/Rugby League ground (Scully 2) formed at the Belmore Street end, as can be seen in the aerial photo.
Today the old Scully 1 field is occupied by the Mercure Hotel, with Scully 2 being replaced by the Regional Sports Precinct, both under the control of Wests Entertainment Group.
The adjacent Scully Pool opened in 1968, with the Scully Swimming Club starting with 399 members, the second biggest in NSW.
The Pool hosted the first Tamworth Swimming Championships in 1971.
Across Kent Street in the photo we see Southgate Shopping Centre, which opened in 1962 after Kathleen Holdings purchased 2 hectares from Tamworth City Council the previous year, reputed to be the first of its kind in Country NSW.
Over the years the Supermarket went under the names of Permewans, Tuckerbag, Bi-Lo and finally Coles.
Alongside is Southgate Inn which opened in 1973, after considerable public opposition dating from 1970.
Tamworth's first machine brickyard, on a 3.2 hectare allotment beyond Anne Street, operated from 1887 under John Peterson, a section of which continued under the Coutman brickmaking family for many years.