Is significant war memorial South and West War Memorial Swimming Pool (Scully Pool) going to be demolished?
Tamworth Regional Ratepayers Residents Association (TRRRA) ask the following questions of Tamworth Regional Council.
- Why was Scully Pool taken out of the hands of the community in 2010 when Council reclassified the pool from community to operational enabling Council to sell the pool?
- Why has Scully Pool not been listed on TRC Heritage List?
- Why isn't Sculley Pool mentioned in TRC Business Case presented to Council as it is a significant memorial to commemorate those who laid down their lives in service of the Country in the World War 11 (19391945) as listed in the 2019 NSW State Register of war memorials and is part of significant history of South and West War Memorial Swimming Pool (dedicated 21 September 1968)
A pool committee was formed in July 1962 consisting of a group of ex-servicemen and volunteers who built the Scully Park rugby league fields, to build a swimming pool in the developing South Tamworth (a large number of war service grants). They approached Tamworth City Council to build a swimming pool to service South and West Tamworth.
In 1963 following Tamworth Council's decision not to build another swimming pool, the group of ex-servicemen, West and South Tamworth business and professionals people formed a committee to prepare plans and raise funds for a swimming pool at Scully Park opposite end of Kent Street (Lot 17).
Members of the working committee included Mr Matthews (ANZ West Tamworth), Mr Wood (Principal Tamworth High School), Mr Dempsey (Principal South Tamworth Primary School), Mr Rodgers (Joinery and Brickworks proprietor), Mr Brooke (businessman and former Councillor), Mr Scully (former Member for the Legislative Assembly), Father Meehan (Roman Catholic Parish South Tamworth) and Mr Campbell (Solicitor).
Mr Nemis, the designer of Southgate Shopping Centre, drew up plans for the swimming pool complex, which were acceptable to the pool committee.
In 1964 after pressure from the local MP, Tamworth City Council offered its support for the project and promised 10,000 pounds ($20,000). An estimated cost of the project that included three pools was 60,000 pounds ($120,000), but as plans developed it was realised the cost was 70,000 pounds ($140,000).
In order to qualify for Government subsidy, tenders were called by Tamworth City Council and by the end of 1965 tenders had been received and examined. The project did not begin until 1967.
The final pool cost was $200,000; the Department of Public Works contributed $20,000; Tamworth City Council contributed $20,000 and pool committee $60,000 with a loan of $100,000 raised.
The pool was officially opened by the Hon. W. Davis Hughes, M.L.A., Minister for Public Works on 21 September 1968.
Mr Hughes said it was very fitting that this fine Olympic swimming pool in which the whole Community of Tamworth had an interest, and the pool would commemorate those who laid down their lives in service of the Country in the world War 11 (1939-1945).
Robyn Lang, Secretary