The Australian Government will send an evacuation flight to the Diamond Princess cruise, the centre of a coronavirus outbreak, on Wednesday.
Tamworth couple Eddie and Barbara Whitham dread another two-week quarantine period at the Howard Springs facility in Darwin.
Mr Whitham said the pair had consented to the arrangement but called it an "over the top" decision because they had already organised a flight home and were prepared to self-isolate.
"We must be now second D-class citizens, we will up before we fly home," he said.
"We can do nothing as we can not arrive home any other way, they will not let us in."
The evacuation was announced on by Prime Minister Scott Morrison late on Monday afternoon.
A 'NIGHTMARE' is how Barbara and Eddie Whitham describe life stranded on the Diamond Princess Cruise ship.
News the Australian Government could evacuate passengers within days has provided little relief with the dread of another quarantine period in Darwin hanging over the Tamworth couple's heads.
"Our quarantine experience has turned into a nightmare and I have been asking people to pray for us," Mrs Whitham said.
Tensions have risen on the ship as passengers become frustrated with a lack of information from authorities and slow turnaround times on test results.
Food has become 'inedible' since the weekend as staff aboard the infected cruise ship no longer cook meals.
Yesterday the food was so bad the couple didn't eat anything, Mr Whitham said.
"We have been in excellent health, but the Japanese I think are expecting older people to succumb to the virus," he said.
"Up until yesterday the ships galley cooked the meals which were super balanced and fresh.
"Suddenly these white clad people knocked on our door and thrust a stack of cardboard boxes containing the food."
Already 16 Australians have tested positive to the virus, in total 355 have tested positive and at least 70 new cases were discovered on Saturday.
Australia's national security committee of cabinet met at the weekend to discuss evacuation of remaining passengers on the ship.
A medical officer in Japan is assessing the situation on board before an evacuation can take place.
The elderly and vulnerable are expected to get off the ship first.
Passengers aboard the ship are still waiting for transparent information about the possible evacuation, Mr Whitham said.
"We do not need the government to take us out," he said.
"We just need unobstructed, smooth passage home."
It comes after the US have started to airlift passengers off the cruise.
A decision on how and if the Australians aboard will be evacuated is expected to be made as soon as today.