A RESIDENT has been taken to hospital for smoke inhalation after a fierce fire erupted in a home in Gunnedah on Tuesday afternoon.
Linden Place was a crime scene on Tuesday night after the major emergency that broke out just before 4pm, after Triple Zero calls for a house well alight.
Witnesses saw flames leaping from the home, as black smoke rose into the air.
Luckily, all the occupants of the home escaped, emergency services said.
The first emergency call was triggered at 3.55pm. Three trucks from Fire and Rescue NSW in Gunnedah and Boggabri rushed to the scene, backed by a unit from the Rural Fire Service (RFS).
Police and paramedics were also deployed to the scene, and stood guard out the front.
The smoke could be seen across town. One man said he was playing golf on the nearby golf course just before 4pm when the thick black smoke started billowing into the air.
The street was cordoned off and neighbours spilled into the street as firefighters rushed to contain the blaze.
A spokesperson for Fire and Rescue NSW said the operation to contain the blaze and the hot spots in the home would take several hours.
"The house is well alight with a lot of smoke issuing," he said on Tuesday afternoon.
"Two crews are at work with hoselines.
"All occupants are accounted for."
A spokesperson for Ambulance NSW confirmed one patient had been assessed at the scene for smoke inhalation.
After the on-scene assessment, paramedics transported the patient to Gunnedah hospital for observation and confirmed they were in a stable condition.
It's not yet known what sparked the fire but investigations are continuing.
It's the fourth housefire in a month for local fire crews after a handful of other blazes took hold of homes across town.