A TAMWORTH case could see thousands of members of stolen generation gain access to to state government compensation.
Greens MP David Shoebridge visited Tamworth recently and it could spark a test case to eliminate the cut-off date for stolen generation compensation.
Mr Shoebridge said the current scheme was unjust and locked out many Aboriginal people from accessing reparations.
“We’re in the first stage in gathering the materials for what we hope will be a test case,” he said.
“If we succeed, and if the test case is successful it would create a pathway to justice for thousands of Aboriginal people taken across the state.”
Currently, the scheme provides payments of $75,000 to living survivors who were removed from their families and committed to the care of the NSW Aborigines Protection or Welfare Boards up until the act was repealed on March 20, 1969.
Mr Shoebridge said the hard cut-off date wasn’t fair, because, although the law was changed, he believed the practice of removing Aboriginal children continued after that time.
The test case on the scheme could involve survivors from the Tamworth area.
Mr Shoebridge said he had been meeting with Aboriginal communities around the state.
“Aboriginal communities are often ignored the by the parliament and have a very marginal voice in Macquarie Street,” he said.
Mr Craigie said he was unaware of anyone coming forward with fresh information since the government put up a $500,000 reward for new leads.
“In a month or two, it will be another year that elapses with no answers,” he said.
“I would wish that the homicide squad would come here at look at this and interview people themselves and talk to our family members, we don’t think we’re getting value for money.”