CONCERNS have been raised effects of the drought will begin to touch more businesses as councils wait for more federal assistance to be released.
The federal government announced in August it would grant 34 NSW councils in drought affected areas one million dollars to help with local relief measures.
Tamworth Regional Council mayor Col Murray said council’s early consideration was putting the cash towards installing more “water points” in town to allow people to fill-up on supplies for domestic use.
While he believed the money would be out in “good time”, he said it would be difficult to make a large far-reaching difference.
“One million dollars is not going change a lot of people’s lives if it’s spread with some equity, it’s not going to be a massive project,” he said.
The state and federal governments have pledged more than one billion dollars towards the drought collectively, but Cr Murray said there would always be a need for more support as the dry spell continues.
“I don’t think you could ever negate the influence of the drought and it'll be touching more and more business as we move through,” he said.
Last week, Local Government NSW (LGNSW) president Linda Scott urged the federal government to “get the funding out the door”.
“The August 19 announcement that 34 NSW councils would receive a $1 million funding boost was very welcome news,” Cr Scott said.
“Our drought-affected members tell me that this package will make a very real difference to their communities, and they are champing at the bit to get started on locally-based programs.
“What we need now is to get this money out the door as soon as possible, so we can make sure these $1 million lifelines do not arrive too late.”