A WORKING smoke alarm stood between a burning oven and sleeping residents in the early hours of Saturday morning, firefighters have said.
They were called to a Sussex Street residence about 3.30am, where they found smoke billowing from the house.
Three crews worked together inside and outside the house to extinguish the blaze.
No one was hurt, and retained firefighter Jason Lee said it was a reminder of two key fire safety mottos.
“Keep looking when cooking, and working smoke alarms save lives – as these ones did,” Mr Lee said.
He said the occupants had fallen asleep with the oven on, although it wasn’t clear whether there was food in it or if it just hadn’t been turned off after cooking.
The smoke alarm woke them, and they were able to get out and call for help.
Three fire trucks, with firefighters in breathing apparatus, attended and quickly put out the fire.
“No one was hurt and no one was treated, but it could have ended differently,” Mr Lee said.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.