DETECTIVES believe a local Bingara man was killed by one or more people, and they’ve deliberately hidden the crime for almost eight years.
A major murder hunt is under way for those behind the killing of Darren Royce Willis, 45, after he met with foul play in December 2010 in Bingara.
His body has never been found, and police don’t know where he was murdered, but a $350,000 reward is on offer to lead detectives to the killers.
We strongly suspect Mr Willis met with foul play and that means that someone took deliberate actions to take his life.New England Acting Superintendent Roger Best
“We strongly suspect Mr Willis met with foul play and that means that someone took deliberate actions to take his life,” New England Acting Superintendent Roger Best said.
“Obviously those people are withholding information.
“We have reason to believe that others are withholding information that would be crucial to this investigation.”
Story continues after the video
Police won’t say what new evidence came to light that sparked the murder probe, after previous appeals for Mr Willis’ disappearance, which was labelled a missing person’s report.
Now a team of officers are trying to close in on those responsible, warning they’re coming for them. And they’ll charge those who have hidden the crime deliberately.
“It’s a very serious offence,” Acting Superintendent Best said.
“Now is the time to come forward, come to us before we come to you.”
He said the family, knowing that Mr Willis was murdered, “magnified the distress” of not knowing what happened.
“That distress can become a life sentence,” he said.
Mr Willis, also known as ‘Spaz’, was last seen leaving the Imperial Hotel in Bingara on December 10, 2010.
What happened next is part of the puzzle being unravelled by New England detectives.
Absolutely we are after information as to the whereabouts of Mr Willis’ body.New England Acting Superintendent Roger Best
“Absolutely we are after information as to the whereabouts of Mr Willis’ body,” Acting Superintendent Best said.
“Mr Willis has family and friends in Bingara and throughout our New England district.
“These people deserve answers.”
Anyone with information on Mr Willis’ disappearance or murder is urged to contact New England detectives or Crime Stoppers.
A REWARD has been announced for information into the suspicious disappearance of Bingara man Darren Willis as the investigation turns to a murder probe.
Police now believe the 45-year-old was killed after he was seen leaving the Imperial Hotel at Bingara in late-2010 .
On Wednesday, New England police are set to announce a $350,000 reward for information leading to a conviction for murder.
Darren Royce Willis, also known as ‘Spaz’ to friends, has been the subject of several missing person appeals for information since his disappearance, but new developments saw the case re-opened.
In May, police appealed for public help to find the remains of Mr Willis, and applied to the state government for a reward to entice the public to come forward.
That application was granted this month.
New England Acting Superintendent Roger Best said detectives were working on the case to find who was behind the disappearance of Mr Willis and his suspected murder.
Darren’s family remain without answers and someone out there knows something.Acting Superintendent Roger Best
“Darren’s family remain without answers and someone out there knows something,” he said.
“These investigators are specially trained but police need the community’s help.
“One small piece of information may lead detectives to the discovery of his body or an arrest.
“Investigations are continuing and we won’t give up.”
Mr Willis was 45 when he was reported missing to police in January 2011. He was expected to return home but has not been sighted since.
He also hasn’t accessed his bank accounts since then, and no family or friends have had any contact with him.
In 2013, police said Mr Willis was known for ‘doing walkabouts’ but they had concerns for his welfare, and feared he may have come to grief.
In 2011, officers investigated reported sightings of Mr Willis in Tamworth but the investigation stalled.
Police will announce the reward on Wednesday morning in Moree.
Acting Superintendent Best urged anyone with information on Mr Willis’ disappearance, no matter how big or small, to come forward and speak with New England detectives.