A history of the Longyard Golf Club

• The Longyard was developed by John Smyth. The inaugural president was Mike Moroney.

• Construction of the course began in 1984. The front nine was opened for play in March, 1988 and the back nine in December, 1995.

• The club was bought by a members' cooperative in early 1998. A share offer in February, 1997 allowed enough money to be raised to buy the course from Mr Smyth.1200 shares were issued at $2000 per holding.

• At the time, the co-op was not expected to provide a dividend until "next century", and it was a "lifestyle, not a financial" decision.

• Another fundraising drive put the club back on track in August, 1998.