New England residents are being warned not to be complacent now that the winter weather has arrived, while a stark warning about LPG and bead fuelled barbecues has also been issued.
Fire and Rescue NSW Zone Commander Tom Cooper said that while a rise in house fires is generally expected at this time every year the region hasn’t seen a rise yet.
“Tamworth and the region are pretty good with fire safety and not taking risks,” he said.
This year the organisation has launched the “a metre from the heater” campaign, which is being used to warn people about the dangers of all indoor heaters, while having fire flues cleaned, only using seasoned hardwood and making sure powerboards haven’t been overloaded are also on the agenda.
Meanwhile the firies have also been seeing a potentially fatal trend, “particularly among foreign cultures”, of bringing barbecues indoors.
“Anything that has barbecue beads or runs off LPG has to be left outside,” he said.
“With carbon monoxide 200 parts in the air per million is deadly.”
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.