NSW Rural Fire Service are urging locals to be fire ready in light of recent fires and hot temperatures

UP IN SMOKE: A grass fire in Carroll burnt out 83 hectares on Saturday prompting fresh calls for locals to remain vigilant ahead of searing temperatures. Photo: Ben Jaffery
UP IN SMOKE: A grass fire in Carroll burnt out 83 hectares on Saturday prompting fresh calls for locals to remain vigilant ahead of searing temperatures. Photo: Ben Jaffery

FIREFIGHTERS are bracing for yet another day of scorching hot temperatures on Tuesday as the mercury nudges 40 degrees.

Total fire bans are in place for much for the North West, including areas like Tamworth, Gunnedah, Moree and Narrabri, as summer well and truly bakes the region.

The total fire ban means any open fires including wood and fuelled barbeques are prohibited and the Rural Fire Service (RFS) is encouraging landholders to down tools and machinery that could spark a fire.

“Latest forecasts indicate high temperatures, low humidity and strong winds, with a very high fire danger rating in place across the Tamworth area,” RFS Tamworth Superintendent Allyn Purkiss said.

“Under Severe Conditions, fires will be uncontrollable and fast moving, and could threaten properties with little warning.”

Related Reading:

The ban is in place until midnight on Tuesday but the RFS has warned with the searing temperatures to continue for much of the week, more bans are expected.

Several fires have broken out in recent days keeping crews on firegrounds, including a large grass fire in Carroll that burnt out 83 hectares.

The recent fires and the prediction of challenging weather conditions has prompted authorities to urge locals to be vigilant. 

RFS Liverpool Range co-ordinator Myles O’Reilly said locals need to be fire ready.

“People need to decide now what they will do if a fire starts near them,” he said.

“Make or review your bushfire survival plan, know the fire danger rating for your area and others if you are travelling as some areas will vary and monitor conditions and fires in your area via our website or our smart-phone app.”

Oxley Inspector Michael Wurth said locals should continue to be vigilant regarding fire safety.

“It’s important to remember not to throw anything out of car windows that could start a fire,” he said.

“Items such as cigarette butts and glass bottles that can act as a magnifying glass can easily start road-side fires, so it’s vital people continue to do the right thing and not throw these types of things out of windows.”

Comments

Discuss "Fire crews on very high alert"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.