GUNNEDAH marked 140 years of coal mining in the region on Saturday.
The anniversary, organised by the Gunnedah Miners Support Group, kicked off with a parade along Conadilly Street, before finishing up at Brock’s Court for a memorial service and laying of wreaths.
The milestone marks 140 years since the first hole was sunk in Gunnedah in 1877.
The street parade saw NSW Fire & Rescue Gunnedah lead the procession, with other participants including members of the Plains Pipes and Drums, Uke-Alypts and Gunnedah Shire Band.
Gunnedah Vintage Vehicle Club was also out in force, ferrying retired miners for the march.
That night, locals took to the stage to receive apprentice of the year awards and a women's award, life memberships and scholarships.