THE stars didn’t align for the Sydney Stars on Thursday night, but former Gunnedah junior Angus Roberts is hoping they do for him soon.
Roberts was the special guest at last night’s LBK Solicitors Cup finals.
He’s currently sidelined with a dislocated ankle, which he picked up playing for Sydney Uni about a month ago, but is hoping to be back on the field soon.
Hopefully about round four of the National Rugby Championship.
Roberts will play for the Sydney Stars and is looking forward to getting a taste of it.
“Everyone’s pretty excited about it,” he said.
The Stars opened their campaign with a 45-20 loss to Brisbane City in teaming rain on Thursday night.
n from back page
In what was a game of two hales the Stars led at half-time but couldn’t hold out a Samu Kerevi-inspired home side in the second half.
It certainly wasn’t the start they were after but there were some good signs.
“They looked sharp in patches,” Roberts said.
The 23-year old burst onto the Super Rugby scene last year after some sterling performances for Sydney Uni during 2012 saw him picked up by the Melbourne Rebels.
He finished the season with eight caps to his name - six of them starting.
Roberts also had the honour of facing the touring British and Irish Lions twice - off the bench for the Rebels and with the Combined NSW/Queensland Country side.
That was, he said without hesitation, the highlight of his career so far.
“More so playing for Country,” he said.
“That was pretty special.”
This season he was “in and out” of the Rebels and didn’t see a lot of game time.
It was frustrating, that frustration being compounded by his current injury predicament.
He subsequently isn’t in the Rebels plans for next season but Roberts is philosophical about it.
Everything has after all happened a lot quicker than he was expecting.
He was only his second year into grade football in Sydney and “all off a sudden I was getting these calls.”
He was still too learning the five-eighth/fullback craft after playing all his junior footy at half-back.
Up to he was 19.
“I made the switch to 10 and 15 in 2011,” he said.
It was Sydney Uni director of colts - and former Narrabri boy - Jack Farrer that made the suggestion.
He was playing college footy in Sydney for a side Farrer coached.
“I had a run at 10 for them and he said I should make the switch,” he said.
“I did and haven’t looked back.”