A NEW England man facing more than 35 assault and sexual offences against a woman will remain in custody after his quest for bail was adjourned.
The 45-year-old man, who is being housed at Tamworth’s Correctional Centre, has already lodged a bail application to be considered by the Supreme Court later this month, but sought to be released in Armidale Local Court yesterday.
The man has been behind bars since June 17 when he was arrested by New England police and refused bail in court.
He was initially charged with 10 offences before investigations by detectives culminated in 26 extra charges.
According to court documents, the man is now facing 15 counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm on the same victim, four counts each of common assault and stalking or intimidating, as well as three choking-related offences.
Police will also allege he sexually assaulted the victim on seven separate occasions and indecently assaulted her on another.
The woman was allegedly detained by the accused before she was released and raised the alarm with police. Solicitor for the accused, Yvonne Phillipos, conceded her client posed an unacceptable risk but said it could be negated by strict conditions.
Ms Phillipos said since the last application was denied the circumstances had changed and surety was available.
She told the court the man could live with family in Sydney but the application was halted after DPP solicitor Peter Woods said they had been caught by surprise with this matter.
“We’re at a disadvantage because we weren’t notified of the Sydney address, only of a Tamworth boarding address,” he told the court.
“The nature of the allegations ... it’s more than having a chat with (the man’s) brother and sister-in-law that the officer in charge has to do.”
Magistrate Karen Stafford said the DPP was entitled to investigate the application before it was considered in court.
A brief of evidence is already being compiled with the case to return to Armidale Local Court in a fortnight.
The man remains bail refused.