Grand final cracker to flow over to presentation

SIMON Norvill’s stunning six over midwicket to finish Sunday’s Tamworth first grade cricket grand final was a brilliant ending to one of the most enthralling and fluctuating deciders in recent years.

Norvill, who was named man of the match after his unbeaten 89 steered Old Boys to a three wicket win over South Tamworth at No 1 Oval, has had an impact off the ground.

While he and his teammates were still celebrating their success at yesterday afternoon’s Ron George Trophy Final between McCarthy and Calrossy at No 1 Oval, it has guaranteed a sell-out crowd for Friday night’s TDCA presentation night.

“It was a cracker of a game,”  TDCA president Richard Bullock said.

“It was a great way to finish the season.

“ And we are full to capacity for the presentation night too.

“We’ll have to sit people out on the balcony as it is.

“We’ve sold 130 tickets for it already. 

“Two years ago we were lucky to get 20 people.

“Last year we had 105 and we were close to full.

“This Friday night we have two clubs bringing 70 people between them – Old Boys and North.

“It’s great to see, great support and a great way to celebrate the season.”

Four of the six Tamworth clubs were represented in the four grand finals on the weekend.

Old Boys won two – first and fourth grade – with North taking second grade and Bective-East winning third grade.

Old Boys had some starring efforts too, with Will Howard claiming five wickets in South’s first innings and then three in the second.

 His father, Ed, also made it a family double by being a part of the fourth grade premiership win.

For Norvill, the chance to hit the winning runs was a special moment.

“It was a great feeling to see the boys running out to us,” he said after his explosive finish.

“It’s a team game. We play for each other and when you get them all running  out like that,  there is no better feeling.”

South Tamworth skipper Nick Leyden congratulated Norvill and the Old Boys side.

 His side had its chances and helped make the game a thrilling grand final over two days despite the wet weather.

“We’ve got to give a special mention to Amos Fenn and the Tamworth Regional Council  for ensuring the game went ahead,”  Leyden said.

“He was magnificent.

“After we received 60 to 70 mm before the game no one thought we’d play but they got us on and it all made for a pretty exciting game. 

“You don’t see too many two-day grand finals going down to the second last over.”

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide