20yo accused continues to fight charges

A LOCAL man accused of a one-punch attack in the Tamworth CBD has been committed to stand trial.

Jack Stevenson, 20, waived his right to a committal and abandoned plans to call a key witness in a planned hearing yesterday in Tamworth Local Court.

Stevenson is fighting the charge, pleading not guilty to recklessly causing grievous bodily harm to 37-year-old Curtis Ah Shay on November 8.

Stevenson, who was supported by family in court, will now have to fight the charge when the case heads to trial in the Tamworth District Court – which is not expected before the end of the year.

The development comes after Stevenson dropped plans to call a key witness, who the court was told earlier this month was central to the case, to give evidence.

“I now withdraw the application to cross-examine the witness,” Stevenson’s solicitor Jason Curtis told the court.

The hearing was to examine what happened on the night of the alleged attack and what the witness saw.

Prosecutors allege Stevenson chased Mr Ah Shay out of the Courthouse Hotel before allegedly punching him in the face just metres away on Peel St.

Investigators allege the force of the alleged blow caused the victim to fall and hit his head on the concrete pavement, knocking him unconscious immediately.

Stevenson then allegedly left the area before police and paramedics were called to the scene.

Mr Ah Shay was rushed to Tamworth hospital before he was airlifted to Newcastle in a critical condition with serious head injuries. 

He spent several weeks in intensive care but is now recovering in hospital.

Earlier this month, prosecutors dropped a second charge of recklessly causing grievous bodily harm in company against the accused.

Magistrate Roger Prowse accepted a brief of evidence on the case before he ordered Stevenson to stand trial on one count.

A date will now be selected at a callover next month.

Stevenson remains on bail.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop