A SPATE of Christmas lights recalls has prompted electricians to urgently warn homeowners to check their festive decorations before plugging them in.
Woolworths, Big W and Masters Home Improvement have issued a string of safety recalls in the lead-up to the festive season.
Master Electricians Australia (MEA) state manager Jody McGann yesterday urged homeowners to check the federal government’s product safety recalls website.
“There is a high risk of electric shock or fire should a defect in these recalled lights occur,” she said in a statement.
“Even reputable retailers have been forced to recall dangerous Christmas lights.”
Ms McGann warned that festivity could easily turn to tragedy if proper precautions were not taken.
MEA has published a Christmas lights safety checklist on its website.
“The first item on the checklist is to ensure the equipment you buy meets national safety standards,” she said.
“Many decorative lights are manufactured outside of Australia where safety standards are lower.”
Consumers have also been warned to buy low voltage lights that are designed for external use.
“Even though your outdoor connections should be weatherproofed, turn off all
outdoor lights during bad weather and ensure that lights and cords are kept clear of powerlines, swimming pools, driveways, walkways and of course, out of the reach of children,” Ms McGann said.
Ms McGann said the only way to be truly safe was to ensure lights were connected to power points controlled by a safety switch.