TWO local teenagers who tried to sell goods stolen during a break-in back to the rightful owners appeared in Tamworth Children’s Court yesterday, charged with a range of property offences.
A 16-year-old boy was granted conditional bail while a 17-year-old boy was refused bail to reappear on January 8 on charges of dealing with proceeds of crime, goods in custody, receiving property and disposal of property.
The break-in occurred last Friday in Belmore St.
Police said the boys arranged to meet with the victims on Monday afternoon to return the goods at a price.
But police were contacted and plain clothes officers went to Belmore Park to arrest the youths, where the stolen items were also recovered.
Their court appearances came as Tamworth’s most senior police officer issued a warning to thieves causing havoc on the city’s street this month– “you will be caught and prosecuted”.
Acting Superintendent Chris Taylor said police operations are continuing and officers have big plans for brazen thieves who want to challenge the law.
Six men were the latest in a string of arrests made by officers this week following an operation targeting warrant offenders on Monday.
Acting Superintendent Taylor said those arrested were aged from 14 years old to their early 20s and had been wanted by police for offences including break-ins, domestic violence and property offences.
He said some of those arrested were also police targets for the latest spate of break-ins in the city.
Acting Superintendent Taylor said police operations over recent weeks included a visiting dog squad who were called in to target suspects in the area.
Further operations of this nature would continue, he said, coupled with the continuing work of the Tamworth-based Target Action Group (TAG) which was reinvigorated to a strength of six officers last month.