UPDATED SUNDAY 5PM
Major flooding has now eased along the Macintyre River at Boggabilla.
The NSW SES has issued an 'All Clear' at 4:30pm on Sunday 5th December 2021 for the previously issued Evacuation Order. Residents of Boggabilla are advised it is now safe to return.
An Evacuation Order remains in place for the Toomelah community.
UPDATED SUNDAY 2PM
NSW State Emergency Service is advising residents of Boggabilla and Toomelah that the current Evacuation Order issued on the 3rd of December is under review with the intention to provide an 'All Clear' for residents to return to their properties.
River levels are slowly easing at Boggabilla and Toomelah following major flood peaks on Saturday. Evacuation Orders currently remain in place for both Boggabilla and Toomelah. Vehicle access to Boggabilla and Toomelah is currently impacted by floodwaters.
Specialist crews from the NSW SES and NSW RFS are undertaking Rapid Damage Assessments of Boggabilla and Toomelah assessing the impact of flooding on properties and infrastructure in these communities.
It is anticipated an 'All Clear' lifting the Evacuation Order for Boggabilla later today with easing conditions, however major flooding is still occurring at Toomelah and is expected to remain for the next 24 hours.
Incident Controller, Chief Superintendent David Monk reminds residents of Boggabilla and Toomelah not to drive through flood waters to return to their properties. Never walk, Drive or ride through flood waters for your own safety.
Residents are asked to keep informed by regularly checking the NSW SES Website - www.ses.nsw.gov.au.
Residents in Boggabilla and Toomelah have been told to prepare to evacuate.
The NSW State Emergency Service reported significant river level rises have been observed along the Macintyre River upstream of the communities.
The Macintyre River level is expected to reach the major flood level (12 metres) early Friday morning and is likely to peak near 12.8m Friday evening.
The entire community of Toomelah, along with Boggabilla residents within the areas listed below, should make plans and prepare to evacuate:
- All properties in Boggabilla on streets surrounded by and including;
- Racecourse Road, Brown Street, South Street, McCosker Street.
- All Properties in Boggabilla between River Road and Newell Highway.
- All properties on Bondi Road, Boggabilla.
- All rural properties within the vicinity of Whalan Creek.
- All rural properties in Boggabilla on streets surrounded by and including Mungindi-Goondiwindi Bridge Road and Newell Highway.
- Turkey Lagoon
- Elambe Caravan Park
Residents should prepare now to evacuate should conditions deteriorate or if instructed to do so.
An evacuation order will be issued by the NSW SES if evacuation is required.
Residents should leave the areas identified and stay with family or friends and an evacuation registration point has been established for Boggabilla at the Town & Country Club for those residents.
If you are unable to stay with family or friends, an evacuation centre will be set up at the Moree East Public School this afternoon.
What to expect:
As flood waters approach, Boggabilla and Toomelah will become isolated with road access cut. As the river nears its predicted peak it is expected that the townships will be inundated by floodwaters.
If you remain in the area after Friday, December 3 at 11am you may become trapped and it may be too dangerous for you to be rescued.
What you need to do:
- Lift personal possessions and important items at least one metre above floor level.
- Take pets, essential items, warm clothes, medicines, insurance documents and valuables with you.
- Leave as early as possible to avoid restricted road access.
- Take drinking water and food due to expected travel time.
- Share this information with family, friends and neighbours and help others where possible.
For more information:
- For the latest information listen to your local ABC radio station,
- Follow the NSWSES Facebook page or their website at www.ses.nsw.gov.au
- The latest weather, warnings, rainfall and river heights are here: www.bom.gov.au/nsw/
- For road closures: www.livetraffic.com.au or 131 701.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: