The Coalition has matched Labor's promise to build a full interchange at Putty Road on the new Singleton bypass.
A day after Labor announced plans to add the additional infrastructure to the project, the NSW government came to the party with the same offer ahead of the Upper Hunter by-election on May 22.
The NSW government's previous proposed bypass was only set to include a southbound exit ramp and a northbound entry ramp at Putty Road.
The announcement is a change from the government's stance earlier this week, when Premier Gladys Berejiklian said rather than new funding announcements, voters should consider the government's track record of investment in roads infrastructure, schools and health services in the region.
"I think communities see through that big cash splash, I think communities just want to know can they trust you, what's your track record, what have you done, can you be assured of providing that stability - that local support into the future," she said on a visit to the electorate on Wednesday.
Deputy Premier John Barilaro said the bypass would be the biggest road infrastructure project in Singleton's history.
"We've heard from the community that they want a full interchange at Putty Road to make it easier to access Singleton town centre from the bypass and that's what we will deliver," he said.
Labor took credit for forcing the government's hand on the project addition.
"If it weren't for Labor's announcement yesterday, the Nationals would have been happy to leave Singleton with a half-baked bypass done on the cheap," Labor candidate for Upper Hunter Jeff Drayton said.
Mr Barilaro said the government would also continue to work closely with the Muswellbrook community to make sure the Muswellbrook bypass has good connections into the town centre.
"Today I can also announce that as we work towards a concept design for the Muswellbrook bypass, the NSW government will commit to include connections to Coal Road and we will co-fund with council local road upgrades to support that connection," he said.
Minister for Regional Transport and Roads Paul Toole said the Singleton bypass project was now in the detailed design phase.
"We've always ensured our design for this bypass would have the flexibility to incorporate a full interchange with the Putty Road - and it's clear that this is something the community is calling for. Today we're giving them the certainty it will be part of it," Mr Toole said.
Work on both bypasses is set to begin next year.
"We know how important these bypasses are to these communities and how excited they will be to see shovels in the ground," Mr Toole said.
"The New England Highway is a major freight and commuter route with tens of thousands of vehicles passing through Singleton and Muswellbrook each day - these bypasses will remove through traffic, dramatically reducing congestion and returning local streets to the community."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
- Bookmark northerndailyleader.com.au
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow us on Instagram
- Follow us on Google News