A NEW case of COVID-19 has been confirmed in the Hunter New England Health (HNEH) district.
The 27-year-old male is a known close contact of a previously reported case from Newcastle, who was isolating prior to his infectious period.
HNEH public health physician Dr David Durrheim said that the case and his close contacts are all in isolation, so there was no ongoing risk of community transmission.
The Tamworth local government area has not recorded a new case of the novel coronavirus in close to three months.
"The Casula Hotel experience has shown us just how quickly this virus can spread, especially with a pub that is a key stop-off location for travelers," Dr Durrheim said.
"There are towns all throughout our district that are key stop-offs during travel, particularly during the holiday season.
"So all of us now need to play our part to ensure we are not reintroducing the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
"We need to maintain our distance, maintain our good hygiene. These things are proving key.
"We need to be vigilant that the virus doesn't get away from us again."
The last case to be confirmed in Tamworth was on April 17, despite testing levels skyrocketing in the weeks after.
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.