A CRACKDOWN on the hospitality industry looms as NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian takes stock of the outbreak in Victoria.
Tamworth cafes, bars, restaurants and pubs have been under the pump to keep up with the constant changes to restrictions and the COVID-19 Safety Plan checklist.
If NSW were to take a step backwards and JobKeeper payments weren't extended past September it could spell the end for some, Williamsburg owner Sally Fielding said.
"Everyone in our town is doing absolutely everything they can to abide by these protocols," she said.
"Our capacity has been cut down from 120 to 48.
"In hospitality you spend a lot of money training staff, it's equal to five weeks of wages for someone so when you've done that and have to let people go it's very sad because your employees become family."
Ms Berejiklian warned compliance checks would be stepped up this week due to concerns some venues were not following basic rules like no sharing of salt and pepper shakers.
State health authorities have confirmed 13 new COVID-19 cases in the 24 hours to 8pm Wednesday. One of those is in the Hunter New England Health district.
Tamworth Regional Council (TRC) compliance director Ross Briggs has been at the forefront of ensuring businesses follow the rules.
"The businesses are doing what they have to do to make sure it's safe for the patrons, to make sure they can remain open and ensure there is no step backwards," he said.
"It's also a matter of patience for the public, these businesses are not trying to be difficult it's just what has to be done."
Last week TRC staff accompanied NSW Health on several inspections of food premises and beauty therapists to check compliance and no infringements of the Public Health Order were handed out.