A GANG of six including four men from Moree are behind bars, accused of the mysterious murder of a Sydney man.
Michael Thomas Porter, 41, Shane Weatherall, 42, Leslie David Fernando, 49, and Lionel Charles McGrady, 50, have all been transferred into NSW prisons after they were denied bail in Inverell Local Court.
Strike Force Brallo has been piecing together the murder of Vergel Velasquez and have charged the four men already, as well as a Sydney pair - Stacey Kelly Greenup and Jeremy Owen James Smith - last week.
The state's homicide squad have been investigating the bashing death of Mr Velasquez, who was 42.
He died in a Sydney hospital a day after being found with severe head injuries in a stairwell of a Girraween unit block on December 30.
The four Moree men all appeared via video link in Inverell Local Court after their arrests during a series of raids in Moree. None of them made a bid for release.
Magistrate Roger Prowse formally refused bail for the men, who have all been ordered to stay behind bars for another six weeks.
The case and the alleged motive of the six - and what roles they allegedly played in the bashing - has not yet been revealed by detectives.
Earlier this year, Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty said police had been baffled by Mr Velasquez's death because of the violent nature of the attack.
"It's clear from what we've found so far that he was really a non-violent person, he really wouldn't harm anyone," he told media in April.
Fernando was already facing a charge of being an accessory after the fact for the bashing.
Detectives had claimed he was behind the wheel of a getaway car after the violent bashing at the Sydney unit block.
Greenup, aged 35, was arrested at a Kingsford unit in Sydney last Tuesday and later charged with murder.
A day earlier, detectives arrested 39-year-old Jeremy Owen James Smith in Lidcombe. He was refused release in Parramatta Local Court on one count of murder.
It's understood the six accused will be sent to different prisons and held on remand until their cases return to Parramatta Local Court in August.
In the meantime, detectives have been ordered to begin compiling the brief of evidence.
Detectives have spent weeks on and off in Moree as part of their investigations. They've also raided several homes in Moree and Granville in Sydney.
Investigations under Strike Force Brallo are continuing.