THE OLD Tamworth Services Club could be about to be reinvented with a development application to transform the building entirely.
Centacare New England North West, the social agency that provides alcohol and gambling help, among other supports, has lodged a $2.1 million development application with Tamworth Regional Council (TRC).
Centacare is still in negotiations with Servies to purchase the three-storey Marius Street building that holds a registered club, restaurant, entertainment facility, pokies and an underground carpark.
The social service is housed in the V Guy Kable building next door, but has since outgrown the space as it prepares to grow the business and employ 10 extra staff.
Council staff are undertaking the initial assessment of the development application and have sought additional information.
At this stage Centacare plans to make additions and changes to the building to convert it into office spaces that will be used wholly by its own staff.
The internal fit-out would allow for the space to be rented by multiple other businesses if Centacare chose to do so in future.
The work includes a complete demolition of the basement level including storerooms, cool rooms and the entertainment area to build an underground car park with 16 spaces and a lobby with access to the upper floors.
On the ground floor the reception, bar and gambling areas would be ripped out to create three separate offices, a common area and a shared training room.
Upstairs another tenancy with 15 separate office spaces will be created with the removal of the bar, kitchen and store rooms.
The plans have been in the works since December 2019 when Centacare held a pre-DA meeting with TRC.
Similar to the V Guy Kable building and the old Northern Daily Leader building, the new office would be painted in neutral colours and all the signs related to the services club would be removed.
According to the DA, businesses and pedestrians within 40m of the construction site could be "highly noise affected", so construction works would be limited to 7am to 6pm daily.
The site itself was first developed in 1881 by the first elected Alderman of the city, it was then purchased by a local doctor and turned into a medical practice until it was bought by the Tamworth Services Club in 1953.
Nearly 10 years later the original building was demolished to make way for the larger, purpose-built club that now occupies the site.
The decision to sell the Marius Street location was made in 2018 so the funds could be used to rebuild the North Tamworth Bowling Club.
The Leader contacted Centacare and a spokeswoman said the DA is part of the due diligence process and at this stage it had no comment to make.
The Tamworth Servies Group was also contacted for comment but did not respond.