RECOVERIES are soaring in the Hunter New England Health (HNEH) area, with almost half of allpatients in the district who contracted COVID-19 now free of the infection.
However, NSW Health has not publicly released the locations of these people, including Tamworth cases.
The latest update from HNEH on Thursday afternoon shows there were no new cases of COVID-19 recorded in the Tamworth local government area (LGA) in the latest 24-hour testing period, to 8pm on Wednesday.
The Tamworth LGA seems to have stalled the spread of the virus. The city has not recorded a new case of coronavirus since March 30, when the tally jumped up by one patient to a total of 12.
The first case recorded in the region was more than two weeks ago, when a local man returned home to Tamworth from the ill-fated Ruby Princess cruise ship.
It has been one week since Gunnedah was confirmed to have the 2380 postcode's first COVID-19 patient.
The Leader requested NSW Health reveal the locations of recovered patients by LGA to the public, but a spokesperson for NSW Health said on Thursday that information was not available.
This means that of the 12 cases of COVID-19 in the Tamworth region, including one in Gunnedah and an additional eight in the Northern Tablelands electorate, it remains unclear whether any local patients have been officially cleared of the virus.
Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall said he expects that from next week, his electorate should start seeing the first of the local cases move from the confirmed COVID-19 category to the recovered category.
"I urge everybody to show these people respect as they re-enter the community. They have all done the right things and self-isolated during their illness and now need friendship and support as they get on with their lives, not hate and personal attacks on social media," he said.
However, when NSW Health might officially release this information is unknown.
In the latest health update from HNEH on Thursday, the organisation revealed eight new coronavirus cases had been confirmed in the district in the latest 24-hour testing period, to 8pm on Wednesday.
It brings the HNEH district total to 262 confirmed cases.
A spokesperson from HNEH clarified how the district's COVID-19 case tally works on Thursday: "The number of confirmed cases includes those who have passed away and those who have recovered," the statement said.
NSW had the lowest increase in cases since early March in the last 24-hour testing period, with 39 new patients diagnosed with the virus.
It brings the state total to 2773 cases, and 21 of those people have died, as at 8pm on Wednesday.
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.