THE spread of coronavirus across the New England North West has almost stalled again with no new cases recorded in the latest 24-hour testing period.
Tamworth has now gone one week since its last diagnosis of COVID-19 in the local area, and there have been no new cases across the region since Friday when Gunnedah recorded its first diagnosis.
NSW Health released the latest figures on Monday morning showing the number of confirmed cases across the state, as at 8pm on Sunday, was 2637. An increase of 57 cases in the 24 hours prior.
And, the number of people infected with COVID-19 in the city will in fact fall soon as they recover from the virus.
The first Tamworth case was recorded on March 24, making it almost two weeks since the positive tests came back.
But authorities still can't determine where at least one of the cases in the Tamworth LGA was acquired.
It remains on a list of confirmed COVID-19 cases with an unknown source of infection.
Cases in Tenterfield and Gunnedah are also on the list with tracing by NSW Health unable to determine exactly where the patients contracted the virus. Investigations are continuing in all of those cases.
Last week, Armidale, Uralla and Gunnedah all recorded one new case of the infection each - the first recorded in each of the towns.
Inverell, Glen Innes, Tenterfield and Liverpool Plains all have recorded COVID-19 cases that were diagnosed in March.
Moree, Narrabri, Gwydir, Walcha and Guyra council areas all remain free of confirmed cases.
On Monday, NSW Health said 249 people with COVID-19 were being treated by NSW Health, which included 40 people in Intensive Care Units, and 22 of these who require ventilators.
The state's death toll from COVID-19 jumped to 18 on Monday after the deaths of two elderly men in Sydney.
An 86-year-old man who with COVID-19 died in Liverpool Hospital in Sydney. NSW Health said he was a resident of the Opal Care Bankstown aged care facility.
There are now 5 cases associated with Opal Care Bankstown: 2 residents and 3 staff.
An 85-year-old-man confirmed to have COVID-19 has died, also in Liverpool Hospital. He was a close contact of another confirmed case, NSW Health confirmed.
On Sunday, Hunter New England Health revealed a 76-year-old man from the region had succumbed to the virus in a Sydney hospital.
The man had been a passenger on the Ruby Princess cruise ship
He had previously been diagnosed with coronavirus before being admitted to Westmead Hospital in Sydney. He died of complications caused by COVID-19 on April 4.
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.