A MAGISTRATE has lifted a suppression order on the identity of the Tamworth man accused of two murders after last week's fatal housefire.
Richard George Sands is charged with killing a woman and a young boy in the fire in Hillvue on October 17.
His identity can be reported after the Leader and ABC successfully challenged a non-publication order in Tamworth Local Court on Tuesday.
The matter was set down for hearing after the Leader argued against a blanket non-publication order on key details that was put on the case late on Friday.
The Leader maintained the accused's name should be reported in the interest of open justice, and on Tuesday, police did not press the application to continue the suppression on Sands' name.
Legal Aid solicitor Wendy McAuliffe, who supported the initial application last week to suppress Sands' identity because of his safety in custody, said she did not have instructions from her client to argue the order on Tuesday.
"That order will lapse," magistrate Julie Soars ruled.
A further order prohibits the identification of the woman and child who survived the fire, and the two deceased. That order was not challenged in court by media.
Ms Soars said the publication of the names, ages, identities and other information on the four involved in the case, "could hamper the investigation" or "jeopardise" the safety of the child.
Police allege Sands deliberately set fire to the home last Thursday just before dawn, killing a woman, whose body was found in the front bedroom, as well as a young boy, whose remains were found at the back of the house.
Sands was refused bail in a bedside hearing in Tamworth hospital on Friday on two counts of murder.
He made no application for bail and it was refused by Ms Soars, who ordered he remain in custody until the case returns to court in mid-December.
Late on Friday, Sands was moved to a specialist burns wing in a Sydney hospital to have his injuries treated. He is said to be in a stable condition.
A woman who was critically injured in the fire remains in a separate Sydney hospital burns unit receiving treatment.
A young boy who suffered minor injuries and smoke inhalation is recovering, surrounded by family, after being released from hospital on Friday.