TAMWORTH will have to wait for its first greyhound race meeting of the year after its proposed March 16 meet was cancelled.
However, the non-TAB meeting was cancelled this week, pending an inspection by the Greyhound Welfare, Integrity Commission (GWIC) today.
If the inspectors give the track the green light the club will be permitted to host trials on Saturday, instead of a meeting.
Tamworth Greyhound Racing Club president Robert Munn told the Leader the cancellation was "very frustrating".
"I have nothing but praise for the work GRNSW have done in upgrading our track, they have been amazing," Mr Munn said.
"However, I think there is a breakdown of communication between GRNSW, GWIC and clubs across the state.
"One minute we are being told our track is good to go and we will have a meeting on March 16.
"The next we are being told the track's not ready and the meeting has been cancelled.
"We are not getting up-to-date information from them and it is just so frustrating."
A GRNSW spokesperson said hosting trials after a track upgrade was a standard policy.
"GWIC policy is for a trial session to be conducted by the club on a remediated track prior to returning to racing," the spokesperson said.
"Subject to GWIC sign off this week, racing will proceed on the scheduled dates.
"However, due to the timing, the March 16 meeting may be conducted as a trial session with non-TAB racing returning on March 23."
The spokesperson said Saturday's scheduled meeting would not be relocated to Gunnedah.
"If the March 16 meeting is postponed for any reason, the meeting will not be transferred to Gunnedah," the spokesperson said.
"GRNSW has racing scheduled at Coonabarabran on Saturday and this meeting will also cater for greyhounds in the region."
Mr Munn said he was unclear if Tamworth would be compensated for the lost meeting.
"I'm still not sure if we will get to catch this meeting up later," he said.
"They have already done this to us twice, meaning they will have to make up three meetings before June 30 and I'm not sure there's enough time."
Gunnedah Greyhound Racing Club president Geoff Rose said the club would be "more than happy" to host the cancelled meeting on Saturday.
"Our track is in fantastic shape thanks to the recent upgrade," Mr Rose said.
"I think moving it to Gunnedah would be a good outcome for local trainers if the meeting is cancelled."
Mr Munn said while relocating the meeting wouldn't "help Tamworth, it would help local trainers".
"At the moment they don't have anywhere to race this weekend and have been left in the dark," he said.
"If nothing else I would just like to see the communication between all involved improve going forward."