A MAN and two teenagers have been charged, accused of trying to break into the Tamworth cricket clubhouse.
Tamworth police and the Target Action Group (TAG) pounced on the trio less than two hours after they allegedly tried to steal from the Carter Street clubhouse on Thursday.
Police allege the 40-year-old, 18-year-old and 16-year-old males tried to break into the club headquarters about 2pm.
Council’s CCTV footage and quick thinking officers swooped and all three have been charged with break-and-enter with intent.
They’ll front Tamworth court at a later date after being granted conditional bail.
The latest arrests take the number of those charged in connection to Tamworth property offences to six in just three days.
Detective Acting Inspector Matt O’Hehir told The Leader property crime had been a constant focus for police.
“Officers have been focusing on property crime and we have had operations across the district to drive down and disrupt this sort of criminal behaviour,” he said.
“We have had six in total – five adults and a juvenile – charged with a range of property offences including three of those who have been charged with multiple serious offences including breaking into residences while people have been home.”
Leon Prince and Ian Jeffery Werribone were denied bail in Tamworth Local Court this week on a raft of break-and-enter charges.
Now, more operations are in the pipeline as part of the crime crackdown.
“We have ongoing efforts planned and increased patrols to combat property crime,” Acting Inspector O’Hehir said.
“Operation Southbreak continues to target property offences and this week saw an increased focus on particular offenders that have been identified as allegedly being involved and that has seen these results.
“Council’s CCTV footage assisted in the arrest of three with the clubhouse offence and information from the public has also helped.”