THINGS got a little bit smoky and almost very heated on Peel Street this weekend after a cafe almost went up in flames.
Tamworth firefighters believe faulty electric wiring in the ceiling of the Yum-To-Go cafe sparked a small fire on Sunday.
Jordan Burke, who lives above a nearby shop, alerted the firies after he smelled and saw smoke coming from the street below.
“I firstly thought there could have been a food stall below it, but called the fire brigade anyway,” he said.
“They got there in a few minutes and the smoke was increasing so I was told to leave my house.”
Duty commander Peter Nugent said the fire didn’t do much damage and was contained in the ceiling void.
He believed the fire wasn’t malicious and was probably sparked by an electrical fault.