MOTORISTS have been urged to stay safe with double demerits still in place until the end of New Year’s Day.
Police have been pleased with behaviour on the roads during the festive season with a reduction in the number of fatalities during Operation Safe Arrival.
The highway blitz begun on December 21 and, to date, there has been six deaths on the state’s roads; 14 less compared to the same period in 2017.
During the operation, a 22-year-old man died after his vehicle rolled and crashed into a tree on Coolatai Road on Friday, December 21.
Assistant commissioner Michael Corboy said it was still important to reflect on the positive outcomes of the operation, helped by the heavy police presence on the roads.
“As we near the end of the operation, I’m pleased there have been 14 less people killed on NSW roads during the operation so far,” he said.
“I encourage all road users to take extra care in the lead-up to the new year, so they arrive safely to enjoy celebrations with family and friends.”
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.