Hockey: Australian's outclass Malaysia at Sultan of Johor Cup

Ehren Hazell and his Burras side had a 6-1 win over Malaysia. Photo: Gareth Gardner
Ehren Hazell and his Burras side had a 6-1 win over Malaysia. Photo: Gareth Gardner

Ehren Hazell and his Australian team-mates bounced back from their shock opening day loss to Japan with a 6-1 win over Sultan of Johor Cup hosts Malaysia on Sunday night.

The Malaysians had put up a fight in the first quarter but capitulated in the later stages to suffer a big defeat.

Their penalty corner defending left much to be desired although they initially matched the Australians stride for stride.

Burras coach Chris O’Reilly said that he was pleased with the big win and hoped to see the improvement going to the other games.

“It was a good show as we played well all around. We took our chances well and the penalty corners were much better. Today they kept a tight control of the match,” he said.

Both teams had lost their opening games on Saturday. The Malaysians went down 1-2 to India while the Australians lost by a similar margin to Japan.

Thus, both teams needed to win to keep their finals hopes alive.

Malaysian started well by pinning the Australians in deep defence. But they couldn’t make their strong start last.

The Australians against the run of play scored a field goal in the eighth minute through Hayden Beltz.

In the second quarter, the Australians had more chances and managed to increase the lead in the 26th minute through Alec Rassmusen.

The Malaysians reduced the deficit in the 37th minute off a penalty corner variation taken by Mohamed Hasrin.

But the fightback ended soon enough.

Damon Steffens scored form the penalty corner in the 44th minute while Jake Staines also was on target in the 45th minute off another penalty corner.

The Malaysians conceded another two more goals, via the penalty corner set-piece moves in the 53rd and 54th minute.

Coby Green was on target for the fifth goal before Steffens added another goal to his tally.

The Aussies face Great Britain in their next game on Tuesday.