Barnaby Joyce has told Channel Nine the reason he is doing the six figured television interview on Sunday night is because he and new partner Vikki Campion cannot get any privacy.
The New England MP has come under fire this week when it was announced he had been paid $150,000 for an interview with Ms Campion on Channel Seven this Sunday.
Channel Nine spoke to Mr Joyce in what is believed to be the Parliament House car park. The footage was then tweeted by @politicsabc.
When asked how people feel about the interview, Mr Joyce gave a small teaser about what’s involved on the Sunday night program.
“I’m sure they’ll feel a whole range of ways after they’ve watched [the interview],” he said while still walking.
Eventually Mr Joyce came to a stop to address the Channel Nine team.
“Look, we umm … We tried for privacy and the last fortnight we’ve had drones over our house, we’ve had paparazzi outside the Armidale airport and we’ve had people follow us to Urualla,” he said.
“We tried just burning this out and that didn’t work.”
Meanwhile cabinet minister Kelly O’Dwyer believes most Australians are "pretty disgusted" about the interview.
"Ultimately it's a matter for him and his judgment. I personally wouldn't do it, I don't think it's right, and I think most Australians are pretty disgusted by it," Ms O'Dwyer told ABC radio.