THE state opposition say the NSW government is jeopardising the future of New England students by failing to name vocational education providers that have had their funding terminated or suspended.
Almost 160 students in the region have unknowingly signed up to receive education or training from a shonky provider in the past 18 months, with Tamworth among the top ten regional postcodes for dodgy VET providers.
The figures were revealed in documents obtained by the state opposition under a freedom of information request.
See the full list at the end of the article
The documents showed 46 providers, who had been receiving taxpayer subsidies, have been suspended or terminated for reasons ranging from using unqualified teachers, using incorrect training tools and insolvency.
Labor’s Tamworth spokesman Daniel Mookhey said his party had put forward a policy for a dedicated investigation unit to weed out dodgy providers, but it was voted down by the Coalition.
“If our policy applied today, every job seeker in Tamworth would have much better access to skills training that would boost their employability,” Mr Mookhey said.
“Every young person starting their career deserves to know that their state government is on their side, but this government continues to back a private training market riddled with fraud and abuse.”
However, a spokeswoman for Deputy Premier John Barilaro, Minister for Skills, said not one student was “left in the lurch” if a training provider had been terminated or suspended.
“If a Smart and Skilled provider is terminated, the NSW Department of Industry works to ensure a transition to another training provider is seamless and does not disadvantage learners or employers in any way,” the spokeswoman said.
VET providers that have had funding suspended or terminated
- Challenger Training Pty Ltd
- College of Professional Education Pty Ltd
- Comet Training Pty Ltd
- Dazzle‐M Pty Ltd
- Elite Training &Development Pty Ltd
- Equalis Pty Ltd
- Farm Gate Training & Consulting Pty Ltd
- Five Star Training Pty Ltd
- Franklyn Scholar (Australia) Pty Ltd
- Future Academy Pty Ltd the Trustee for Future Academy Trust
- G'Day Australia Pty Ltd
- Global Institute of Learning Pty Ltd
- Igrow Family Day Day Care Pty Ltd
- Impact Training Institute Pty Ltd
- Improvement Tools (Qld) Pty Ltd
- Insight Training Group Australia Pty Ltd
- Kelaart Security Training Services Pty Ltd
- Kirana Training Pty Ltd
- Learning Lab Pty Ltd
- Lisa Nguyen Nail, Beauty & Tattoo Pty Ltd
- Royal Rehab
- Rtm Educational Training Academy Pty Ltd
- Skillstrain Pty Ltd
- Tandem College Pty Ltd
- Texskill Ltd
- Training Specialist Australia Pty Ltd
- Transqual Pty Ltd
- United World College Pty Ltd
- Visual Concepts & Design Australia Pty Ltd
- 3‐AAA Training & Consulting Pty Ltd
- Access Community Group Ltd
- Access Group Training Pty Ltd
- Access Training Institute Pty Ltd
- Alertforce Pty Ltd
- Australian College of Vocational Studies Pty Ltd
- BBT Training Australia Pty Ltd
- Belelmont Pty Ltd
- Management Institute of Australia No1 Pty Ltd
- Management Institute of Australia No2 Pty Ltd
- Maxis Solutions Pty Ltd
- McLeod Training Organisation
- Newskills Ltd
- Nailtech Training Pty Ltd
- Paul Kearney & Associates Pty Ltd
- Precision Training Australia Pty Ltd
- Project Management Partners Pty Ltd