Jeongtae Kim found guilty of sexual assault without consent of woman in Carthage St, North Tamworth unit

Bail revoked: Jeongtae Kim was found guilty by a jury in Sydney's Downing Centre District Court.

Bail revoked: Jeongtae Kim was found guilty by a jury in Sydney's Downing Centre District Court.

AN INTRUDER who entered a North Tamworth home and sexually assaulted a woman while she slept has been refused bail after he was found guilty at trial.

Jeongtae Kim is behind bars after a Sydney jury found him guilty of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent, two counts of attempted sexual intercourse without consent and one charge of assault with an act of indecency.

The trial in Sydney’s Downing Centre District Court heard from several witnesses, including the victim, as well as a man who was also inside the Carthage St unit at the time of the attack about 2.30am on April 10, last year.

The victim did not know the Korean national at the time of the attack.

It took the jury less than a day to find the now 32-year-old guilty of five charges and he was led into the custody of Corrective Services’ officers after Judge David Arnott revoked his bail.

Kim was cleared of charges of aggravated sexual assault by breaking and entering with intent, and found guilty of the back-up charges.

It was the Crown’s case that Kim entered the unit, and went to the bedroom where he sexually assaulted the woman who was asleep in the bed.

Much of the detail surrounding the case is suppressed for legal reasons, but Tamworth police were alerted shortly after the incident.

A crime scene was set-up at the unit and forensic samples taken from the location.

Several suspects were identified and questioned during the investigation – led by Oxley detectives – before a DNA breakthrough led investigators to Kim.

He was tracked to Sydney and arrested by Oxley detectives on May 5, last year.

Kim was charged with several offences and granted police bail on the same day. He was only taken into custody for the first time following the guilty verdicts by the jury.

The Crown maintained Kim was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the attack, but he did not give evidence during the trial.

The trial spanned 10 days in Sydney before Judge Arnott summed up the case and sent the 12-member jury out to deliberate on the charges.

It only took them a matter of hours with the verdicts returned on the same day, later that afternoon.

Kim will be sentenced in the Downing Centre District Court in Sydney in February, next year.