ELEVEN people will front court charged with drink driving after a weekend blitz across the New England North West.
Operation Drink Drive wrapped up at midnight on Sunday but the hangover for many locals will last a lot longer after several lost their licence for PCA or copped hefty fines and loss of demerit points for other offences.
In Tamworth, a 17-year-old male came under notice after allegedly travelling through a roundabout on the wrong side of the road.
Police said the P-plater allegedly crossed to the incorrect side of the Jewry and Ebsworth Street roundabout about 11pm on Sunday before he was stopped shortly after in Peel St.
He failed a roadside breath test and later allegedly recorded a blood alcohol reading of 0.097 – almost double the legal limit.
During the three-day operation, nine drivers were charged with mid-range PCA and two others for low or special-range PCA.
New England police charged six motorists for drink driving, while Oxley saw three people nabbed and Barwon police stopped two.
That’s 11 people we allege that put every other motorist on the road at risk by drinking and driving.Highway Patrol Sergeant Michael Buko
“That’s 11 people too many,” Oxley Highway Patrol Sergeant Michael Buko told The Leader.
“That’s 11 people we allege that put every other motorist on the road at risk by drinking and driving.”
In Tamworth, a 21-year-old male teen was charged with PCA after allegedly crashing his car into a guard rail and clipping a tree on Goonoo Goonoo Rd.
Police said the P-plater is prohibited from having any alcohol in his system but allegedly recorded a reading of 0.029. He’s also charged with negligent driving.
Sergeant Buko said across the region, 5221 people were breath tested on the side of the road, while 113 people were booked for speeding.
Police also slapped motorists with 128 infringements for other offences such as using a mobile phone, and 12 people were booked for not wearing a seatbelt.
“Across the region, police conducted almost 4000 more RBTs compared to last year,” Sergeant Buko said.
“More infringements for seatbelts were also issued to motorists compared with last year’s figures.”