As the Australian Competition and Consumer Committee launch an inquiry into the NBN Co’s customer service, a local case has proven they are not always at fault.
Maxine Peters moved into a brand new Oxley Vale estate on August 25, yet 11 weeks later is still without a home phone or internet connection after an alleged major oversight by developers Goldengrove.
A landscaping error saw the “pit”, which houses telecommunications infrastructure, turfed over, including the cement lid, while the telephone line had not been run to the house either.
What followed was a “harrowing” two months of confusion and frustration, as both the NBN Co and Telstra handballed the issue to each other, with neither party ever knowing the simple reason for the issues until the Telecommunications Ombudsman demanded action.
“I was making daily phone calls to both NBN and Telstra, getting different stories every time,” Ms Peters said.
“I spent hours on the phone and even missed two days of work, so I finally went to the Ombudsman.
“The Ombudsman was more help in a matter of days than anyone else had been and made NBN Co dig a pit, but when they started to dig they hit the old one which had been turfed over.”
NBN Local Spokesperson Lynette Keep said “this installation was delayed by a requirement for significant civil works.
“We have spoken with the end user and apologised for any inconvenience and will work to have her connected as soon as possible,” she said.
Goldengrove Homes was contacted, but did not provide comment.