Two hospitalised after fire in two-storey Hillvue home

TWO people were hospitalised – one of those a firefighter –  after a fire tore through parts of a Tamworth home. 

In a string of multiple fires that broke out that same day, emergency crews responded to reports of a two-storey home alight on Sanctuary Place, Hillvue, about 1.40pm Sunday.

Fire & Rescue NSW crews from West Tamworth 508 and Tamworth 452 were tasked to the incident, and noticing larges plumes of smoke upon arrival, called for extra resources.

“Upon arrival, crews found the garage pretty much fully involved,” Peel duty commander Peter Nugent told The Leader.

“There were thick plumes of black smoke.”

Crews from 452 fought the fire, while a crew from 508 investigated the second level of the house. The fire was contained within half an hour, and fully extinguished after a couple of hours. 

Mr Nugent said initial investigations suggest the fire was sparked by fuel leaking from a car inside the garage.

Crews found the garage pretty much fully involved.

Peter Nugent

“The garage is severely damaged by fire, and there is a lot of heat and smoke damage throughout the rest of the house,” Mr Nugent said.

Mr Nugent said two firefighters were treated by paramedics at the scene, before one was conveyed to Tamworth hospital. A NSW Ambulance spokesman confirmed a second person was also taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.


Discuss "Two hospitalised after house fire"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.