We’ve heard plenty about plans for the new $30 million (estimated cost) aquatic centre to be built alongside the Sports Dome in Tamworth.
But still nothing is set in stone.
That’s a good thing though, because it gives us the chance to, literally, build it from the ground up.
The council is promising “robust” consultation as it begins preparation. Good to hear.
The swimming groups are on board too – to make sure the entire community has a say.
But here’s the thing. You can’t please all the people all the time - something council knows all too well.
So we’d like to add some clarity to the situation and let the council and the aquatic groups know what we want from the project.
If you head to our website you’ll be able to vote for the things you would like to see as part of the Aquatic Centre.
The list is extensive, so feel free to tick off more than one item.
- A 50 metre indoor pool
- A 50 metre outdoor pool
- A 25m indoor pool with ramp access
- An indoor leisure park
- An outdoor leisure park
- Sails over children's outdoor pools
- Sails over main outdoor pools
- A diving pool, including facilities for water polo
- Children's outdoor playground
- Raised seating
- Other options
- Tamworth City Pool remains open
- Scully Pool remains open
- Tamworth and Scully pools remain open
- Free shuttle bus to and from the pool from CBD
- Shuttle bus, with a fee, to and from the pool from the CBD.
- No aquatic centre
Obviously we won’t get everything – the money pit is not bottomless after all.
Previous polls taken by The Leader have also shown the community remains divided over the proposal in the first instance.
At this point in the process though you’d have to think it’s got a pretty good chance of going ahead.
So it’s worth asking the question; What do you want?