A day for firsts at Muswellbrook

In 2013 Caulfield trainer Colin Scott sent Speediness north to run in the Scone cup, a race which he won and the horse was stabled with Greg Bennett.

Scott had to return to Melbourne and Bennett’s then foreman, Andrew Robinson, looked after the horse until Scott returned. 

The pair remained friends, Robinson returned to Muswellbrook, his home town earlier this year to take out his licence and Scott sent him three horses to help him get started.

One of those horses was a filly called Barr Hill which led all the way for Paul King to win the TAB.COM.AU Maiden (900m) at Muswellbrook on Tuesday, and give Robinson his first career winner.

Barr Hill was resuming after being well backed but running only eighth for Scott in a Geelong maiden in June but was later found to be shin sore.

“Despite the price I thought she was a good chance if you had a look at the video of that first run,” Robinson said.

“This is a great thrill but I have a lot of people to thank, particularly (fellow trainer) Tim McIntosh for riding her in her work. He has put a lot into getting this filly ready.”

Robinson is the son of Muswellbrook Race Club’s track work supervisor and life member Dot Robinson while his brother, Matthew, is a successful trainer at Taree.

King jumped the filly to the lead from her wide barrier and was never headed to win by three quarters of a length from favourite Paris For Me.

Rachael Murray landed a winning treble, winning the first race, the Maiden (900m) on the Greg Bennett trained Seven Sonnets, the Maiden (1280m) on Phoenix Sunrise for Tracey Bartley and the final event, the Benchmark 55 (1450m) on Messiah’s Jewel for Warwick Farm trainer Mark de Montfort.

“I’ve bringing horses up here for a little while now and this is my first Muswellbrook,” de Montfort said.

“I was a bit worried about the rain they got on Monday because this horse is no good on a rain affected track. Rachael lives here at Muswellbrook so I rang her early this morning and because we were in the last race she thought the track would have dried out well by then which it did.”