Stray spark results in hazardous burn

AN ARMIDALE man is recovering after being burned in a detonator accident on his property.

The 68-year-old was using an angle grinder about 3.45pm on Thursday when a fire broke out in his shed.

“While doing this work, some old detonator cords, located on the same workbench he was working on, ignited from the sparks,” Armidale Acting Inspector Chris Pieterse said. 

“This quick-burning fire resulted in burns to the victim’s hands and face.”

The man was rushed to Armidale hospital for treatment, where he was reportedly stabilised. 

Investigators believe the detonator cord was up to 40 years old and very unstable.

Police have urged anyone with access to old detonator cords or similar substances, to have them lawfully destroyed in a bid to prevent similar types of accidents.


Discuss "Stray spark results in hazardous burn"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.