Last season's top international wicket-taker misses out on IPL

Mitchell McClenaghan's up-and-down Big Bash season with the Sydney Thunder has seemingly cost him a place in the Indian Premier League after he was passed in without a single bid during the lucrative auction on the weekend.

Despite being the IPL's leading international wicket taker last season, not one of the eight franchises was interested in securing the New Zealander's services even at his base price of just under $100,000.

The fearsome left-armer wasn't the only big-name quick overlooked on the opening day of bidding, with Mitchell Johnson, Josh Hazlewood and Lasith Malinga all failing to find a team.

McClenaghan took 11 wickets during his one-year stint with the Thunder, which ended last week in Canberra when the western Sydney franchise had their top-four hopes ended by the Melbourne Renegades.

But his bowling at the death wasn't up to his usual high standards and on several occasions he leaked big runs in the 20th over of the Thunder's bowling innings, including 25 against the Renegades on Wednesday night.

The 31-year-old received a torrent of abuse via social media shortly after bowling the over. He returned to New Zealand on Thursday and will take his place in the Pakistan Super League next month with the Lahore Qalandars.

"I've been pretty lucky my career, I haven't copped too much [abuse], I've probably noticed it more in Australia than anything," McClenaghan said.

"Most of the time there's an underlying issue, most of the time it's people saying I lost money on this game because you bowled bad or something like that or you didn't hit a four.

"It's quite funny actually, a lot of the cases are around people punting and losing money and then decide to take their frustration out on you as a player. At the end of the day, it's just ridiculous.

"We go out there and give it everything, we don't stand over people at their desk at work and all that kind of stuff. This is our job, our livelihood and there's enough pressure there already without the abuse you cop outside of that."

McClenaghan has no plans to stop using social media, which he sees as an important tool for fan interaction.

"It's a great channel to promote the game of cricket and get youngsters involved in the game and that's what the majority of players use it for," McClenaghan said.

"Growing up, I would've loved to have access to my idols to ask questions, to be able to interact with them and I think now it's almost like a duty of athletes to be able to communicate to youngsters.

"If someone's asked a question about how to bowl, or sends you a direct message wanting some tips, you can give them that kind of stuff. They might be life changing for someone like that, just to like something or reply just to see the reaction that it gives people, and that interaction that's kind of what you're in it for to give people their joy in their life.

"A lot of time for us it's Subcontinent people who don't have a lot, to give them something like that which makes their day and might even make their life."

Johnson was also the victim of social media abuse following his failure in the IPL auction.

In reply, he tweeted: "To all the idiotic people out there hiding behind a computer screen typing absolute junk....... I'm still smiling & enjoying my life with my amazing family #nottheendoftheworld".

This story Last season's top international wicket-taker misses out on IPL first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.