A NINE-year-old missing persons case was closed yesterday after police confirmed forensic testing on bones found in the grounds of a Collarenebri property last year belonged to missing Queensland truck driver James Douglas Whyte.
Mr Whyte was 31 years old when he was reported missing in November 2003.
It was believed at the time his disappearance was reported that he had gone missing on the grounds of Collymongle Station.
At the time police searched the area extensively but were unable to find Mr Whyte.
A strike force named Tanunda was formed to investigate his disappearance.
It wasn't until September last year that a farm worker found the remains on the grounds of the station.
During a coronial inquest on Tuesday, Deputy State Coroner Sharon Freund determined the remains were those of Mr Whyte, however the manner and cause of death is still a mystery.
Castlereagh Local Area Command crime manager Inspector Tony Mureau said it was unfortunate Mr Whyte's family and police would never know what had happened to him.
"This has been a long-running investigation and I would like to acknowledge the patience and understanding of James's parents, along with the considerable work by Detective Sergeant Russell Pitt who led the initial investigation," Inspector Mureau said.
Inspector Mureau said it was unfortunate "we will just never know exactly what happened to James".