A burnt waffle caused chaos at Armidale Central shopping centre on Sunday

CHAOS AT THE SHOPS: Hundreds of shoppers were evacuated from Armidale Central on Sunday morning after a burnt Glora Jean's Waffle sparked a fire alarm. Photo: Rachel Baxter
CHAOS AT THE SHOPS: Hundreds of shoppers were evacuated from Armidale Central on Sunday morning after a burnt Glora Jean's Waffle sparked a fire alarm. Photo: Rachel Baxter

HUNDREDS of people were evacuated from Armidale Central on Sunday after a burnt waffle sparked alarm.

The smell of smoke filled the centre and even Santa was forced to join the crowds assembling by the entrance and across the street.

But while not a false alarm, it wasn’t serious.

“It was literally just a burnt waffle,” Gloria Jean’s worker Hannah Clark told Fairfax Media at the scene on Sunday.

“It has happened a couple of times actually, last time it was bacon.

“The firies took it very seriously which was good and Santa was great at calming everyone.”

The centre was closed for about 10 minutes.

Comments

Discuss "Hundreds evacuated from Armidale Central over burnt waffle"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.