DETECTIVES have served new evidence on a solicitor for the man charged with burning three teenagers in a backyard explosion at a Gunnedah party.
Raymond Harland Hubbard is yet to enter a plea to three charges of recklessly causing grievous bodily harm in Gunnedah on November 6, last year.
The 47-year-old appeared in Tamworth Local Court on Wednesday where Legal Aid solicitor Fiona Hadlington asked for a further adjournment.
She received the brief of evidence in January, but told the court she was served last week “with a considerable amount of new material”.
“Including medical statements, police statements, civilian statements,” Ms Hadlington told the court.
“A walk-through which is two videos … I haven’t read them or watched them.”
Crown solicitor Mark Ferguson supported the adjournment application and said it was a serious matter.
“The allegation is that three people were harmed in an explosion brought about by a flammable liquid applied to a fire,” he said.
Ms Hadlington said she had also sought further advice on the case, which could head to trial or sentence in the district court, dependent on the pleas entered.
“I’ve asked the public defender to become involved,” she said, adding more time was needed to consider the path forward.
The allegation is that three people were harmed in an explosion brought about by a flammable liquid applied to a fire.Crown solicitor Mark Ferguson
“Whether there should be an application for a committal.”
Hubbard was charged by Oxley detectives in mid-November with three counts of recklessly causing grievous bodily harm.
The charges stem from a fire in the early hours of November 6 in a backyard in Little Barber St, Gunnedah.
Detectives allege Hubbard poured an accelerant on a fire at the party, sparking an explosion which burnt three teenagers.
Emergency services were called to the scene and assessed three patients.
Two of the boys were taken by ambulance to Tamworth hospital and later flown to a Sydney hospital for specialist treatment for serious burns.
A third teenager was treated for burns and admitted to Tamworth hospital.
Magistrate Roger Prowse granted the adjournment and said based on the allegations the new material should be considered.
“Clearly there might be some evidence in the material,” he said.
“Your bail is to continue.”
The case will return to court in March.