1. Who was the first Australian bushranger?
a) John Caesar
b) Ben Hall
c) Captain Starlight
2. Who sued a newspaper for the crossword clue "Sydney underworld figure nicknamed Mr Sin"?
a) Abe Saffron
b) Neddy Smith
c) Lenny McPherson
The man who sued a newspaper. Photo: N. Brady
3. How many known victims of Jack the Ripper were there?
4. In what country was organised crime figure Robert Trimbole arrested in 1984?
5. Which NSW Premier established ICAC?
a) Neville Wran
b) Nick Greiner
c) Bob Carr
6. What did conman Victor Lustig sell twice?
a) The Louvre
b) Stature of Liberty
c) Eiffel Tower
7. Which island did failed businessman Christopher Skase flee to in the 1990s?
c) Gran Canaria
8. How much money was reportedly stolen in the Great Bookie Robbery in Melbourne in 1976?
a) $1 million
b) $10 million
c) $100 million
9. What substance was used in a spate of poisoning deaths in Sydney in the 1950s?
10. What was interesting about the three murders committed by Snowy Rowles in WA in the 1930s?
a) Fingerprints were used for the first time to identify the murderer
b) They were inspired by the plot of an unpublished book
c) For the first time DNA was used to convict a murderer
11. Terry Clark was the head of which Australian criminal enterprise?
a) Mr Asia drug syndicate
b) Carlton Crew
c) The Honoured Society
12. What was the most common name of convicts sent to Australia?
a) William Johnson
b) John Smith
c) Jim Jones
Answers: 1. (a), 2. (a), 3. (a), 4. (c), 5. (b), 6. (c), 7. (b), 8. (a), 9. (b), 10. (b), 11. (a), 12. (b).